Be sure to check out 31 Days Of Photography Experiments to give you real world tasks that teach the concepts below. Subscribe to this blog to automatically receive the new series as it is posted.
This 31+ day posting project is for anyone who may be starting out in photography and even for those who know it all. It’s been my experience that there is always more to learn and photography is no exception, especially for me. I’m crafting this month as a means to organize my own thoughts and help out those who wish to learn more about taking better pictures.
Every post during this month may or may not resonate with you. That’s ok. I’m hoping at least something will help you learn more about taking better pictures because that is one of my passions in life; helping others learn more about photography. There’s no catch, there’s nothing you have to buy or subscribe to. You can start this month of learning any time you want to, take a break if you like, or skip down to the Challenges or Assignments. It’s up to you to make the most of it!
Are you ready to jump into a month (plus!) long journey to better photographs?
- Day 1 – The Exposure Triangle
- Day 2 – How Your Camera Works
- Day 3 – How To Hold A Camera
- Day 4 – Photography Jargon
- Day 5 – Shutter Speed
- Day 6 – Aperture
- Day 7 – ISO
- Day 8 – Metering Modes
- Day 9 – Camera Modes
- Day 10 – White Balance
- Day 11 – How To Take A Shot
- Day 12 – Histograms
- Day 13 – Flash (ahh ahhhh, the Unstoppable!)
- Day 14 – Rule Of Thirds
- Day 15 – RAW & JPEG Can Coexist
- Day 16 – Exposure Compensation/Bias
- Day 17 – A Rule Of Thumb To Help Stop Photo Blur
- Day 18 – Waterfalls (Don’t go chasing them, stick to the rivers & the lakes you’re used to)
- Day 19 – Get Close, Go Wide
- Day 20 – Panning Blurrrrrr
- Day 21 – Shooting Photos At Night
- Day 22 – Moon Photos
- Day 23 – Light Trails
- Day 24 – Fill Flash and good times to use it
- Day 25 – Cityscapes
- Day 26 – Rock Climbing
- Day 27 – Low Angle
- Day 28 – Sunsets
- Day 29 – Travel Portraits
- Day 30 – Bounce Flash
- Day 31 – How I Edited It
- Day 32 – Picking A Lens(es)
- Day 33 – What’s A Good Camera For Me To Buy?
- Day 34 – Travel Gear Recommendations
- Day 35 – Why You Might Want A Reverse Graduated Neutral Density Filter
- Day 36 – Neutral Density Filters – A Primer
- Day 37 – Traveling With Gear
- Day 38 – The Difference A Tilt-Shift Lens Can Make
- Day 39 – Tripod Use and Abuse
- Day 40 – Buying An Entry Level DSLR
- Day 41 – An Example Of Why You Might Want To Use A Polarizing Filter At Sunrise In Seattle
For Your Experimentation
Weekend Photography Challenges
- Weekend Photography Challenge #1
- Weekday Photography Challenge #2: SHADOWS
- Weekend Photography Challenge #3: SHAPES
- Weekend Photography Challenge #4: WATER
- Weekend Photography Challenge #5: FASHION
- Weekend Photography Challenge #6: SUNSHINE
- Weekend Photography Challenge #7: MEMORY
- Weekend Photography Challenge #8: DECAY
- Weekend Photography Challenge #9: CELEBRATION
- Weekend Photography Challenge #10: BORED
- Weekend Photography Challenge #11: BACKLIGHT
- Weekend Photography Challenge #12: GRIT
- Weekend Photography Challenge #13: GRAIN
- Weekend Photography Challenge #14: DINNER
- Weekend Photography Challenge #15: THE FAIR
And some other nuggets thrown in here and there.
I hope you have a good month, no matter when you start the series. If something doesn’t make sense send me an email or post a comment.
And let’s start off with a question! What item would you like to see that is not listed above? I’m not promising I will get to it, but I will try to incorporate your questions into the posts to make this month more relevant.
Off we go with the first post!
31+ Days To Better Photography is a series written by professional photographer Peter West Carey on The Carey Adventures.Com. The series is designed to unravel the mysteries of photography so you can take better pictures. Subscribe here to receive all the updates and bonus material. Your comments are always welcome.