About this project
People, Places & Patterns Project from Peter West Carey on Vimeo.
Explore, video record and photograph various countries on all of the world’s continents as seen through the three main subjects of People, Places & Patterns. Return home to USA and ignite curiosity about other cultures in those young and old through engaging presentations in schools, libraries and community groups. Create online tools for remote viewing and learning.
How I’ll Do It
I will be scheduling talks with various groups in my community, slowly expanding the circle. I will visit local schools, libraries and community groups in order to share my experience and excite people’s imaginations. I love using travel as a tool to open people’s minds to the possibilities of life beyond our normal borders. I have done slideshows in the past and the response is always favorable when travel and nature photography are introduced.
Most importantly for me, I want this ongoing journey to enrich the lives of those around me. I want to bring a bit of all the countries and continents I visit back home and help others enjoy the world around them. If you have a local group who would like a free slideshow presentation, contact me!
In a quick nutshell, that’s the frame work. While I have not filed for official non-profit status, this project is not being designed to turn any kind of profit. Most all presentations will be a donation of my time and energy aside from my paying work. At this moment, the costs are low as I’ve been lucky in finding facilities willing to donate space, but eventually I’ll be moving to locations where I will be required to bring my own equipment. Therefor, I am interested in a select number of sponsors who can help bring this project to more screens. If you’re interested in becoming a corporate sponsor, email me. This work is ongoing so check back monthly to see new progress.
TEACHERS: Ongoing School Presentations
I am currently looking for likely elementary, middle and high school programs who may benefit from a regularly scheduled guest appearance, via Skype or another technology, in their class. I am piloting this program now with a school in Utah where I will be offering images, talks and answering questions on the world biomes as I travel and while at home on a weekly basis. I am also bringing in expert witness reports from friends in the industry to help liven up classroom material and make learning more interactive.
If you are a teacher and would like to discuss how I may be of help to your class’ learning, please contact me and we can discuss a way to work together. I love helping kids learn and will do what I can to facilitate that within the confines of your curriculum. More information can be found on this page.
- January 17th, 2013 – Boston Harbor Elementary
- August, 2012 – On board M/V Safari Endeavour, Juneau, AK
- Weekly remote presentation for a high school in American Fork, Utah
- June 7th, 2012 7PM – Boulder, CO – George Reynolds Library
- May 23rd, 2012 – Remote Presentation, San Diego, CA – 6th grade class slide show and Q&A via Skype – All subjects
- March 16th, 2012 7pm – Spokane, WA – Land Rover Spokane 1310 W 3RD Ave, Spokane, WA 99201 MAP
- February 4th, 2011 – Portland, Oregon 7pm, Jupiter Hotel
- October 9th, 2010 – Standwood, WA – Small Group presentation in private home.
- August, 2010 – Woodinville, WA – Public Presentation specific to Nepal and Patterns, in conjunction with Hot Yoga Of Woodinville
- July 2010 – Remote Presentation, San Diego, CA – 6th grade class slide show and Q&A via Skype – All subjects
- July 2010 – Remote Presentation, San Diego, CA – Another 6th grade class slide show and Q&A via Skype – Just Patterns (and animals)
- June 2010 – Clinton, WA – Entire Montessori School slide show concentrating on just Africa
- June 2010 – Leavenworth, WA – General slide show open to public in conjunction with Dancing Coyote Camp and Barn Beach Reserve