The time when a bunch of bloggers get together (on the internet) and decide they want to help out others. This annual event is called Passports With Purpose and is run, entirely on volunteer power (read: 100% of donations goes to the assign charity), by the likes of an amazing gaggle of heroines: Pam Mandel, Beth Whitman, Debbie Dubrow and Michele Duffy.
This year’s charity is Room To Read. Specifically, Passports With Purpose will raise $80,000 to build two libraries in Zambia. That’s right: will. Not ‘is trying to’ or ‘hopefully’. Every year these gals have organized this event, it has far surpassed their financial goals by leaps and bounds. Why?
Awesome prizes and people who want to do good.
Personally, I also love the charity this year. I first became involved with Room to Read in 2007 when my ex-wife and I decided to raise $15,000 to help build a school in Nepal. Not only did we raise the funds, the school has already been built and is educating a new generation of Nepalis to help improve that country’s population. What I love most about Room to Read is that they only partner with communities that come forth and ask for assistance, while putting in 50% of the equity to build the schools, libraries and more. They don’t simply hand over a school to a community that doesn’t want it, they make sure the community has a deep investment in making the program work.
To that point, I have wrangled up a prize photographers in the crowd will love. I have worked with BorrowLenses.com in the past to find great gear to review on Digital Photography School. They seemed like a perfect fit for this fund raising effort as they have been responsive, enjoyable to work with and have a quality product I know many of you would want.
To that end, I’m happy to announce BorrowLenses.com has donated a $150 gift certificate for the raffle. That’s $150 to rent anything from their site (they only ship to the USA) and can either be used in whole or in part to pay for your order. The list of what they rent is long and includes more than just lenses:
- Lenses for Canon, Nikon, Leica, Sony, Pentax, Olympus and 4/3rds mounts
- Video equipment
- Audio equipment
- Underwater housings
- Point and shoot cameras
- Heck, you can even rent an iPad 2 if you are so inclined
The full range of items can be found on their site: http://borrowlenses.com .
Some simple rules for this prize:
- Prize can only be shipped to the USA
- Last day for raffle entry is December 16th, 2011
- Enter by visiting Passports With Purpose’s site and selecting the appropriate prize (and there are a TON of awesome prizes to choose from!)
- Winners will be announced via email on December 23rd, 2011
- Prize must be redeemed before December 31, 2012
- Gift Certificate may be used for shipping and insurance costs as well as item rental
- Odds of winning depend on how many people choose this prize
- Full official rules can be found on Passports With Purpose’s site
So what do you plan to rent with your prize?